About me

I LOVE chocolate. And bread. And pasta. And basically all types of food. I am getting hungry just posting about scrumptious foods.

For the longest time, I prescribed to the idea that if I exercised, I could eat whatever I wanted without any consequences. Moderation was not part of my vocabulary because I have a high metabolism and I exercise 5-6 days a week (sometimes 2 times a day). Why should I care what I eat? I have been a long distance runner for many years, have been doing CrossFit for a little over 2 years now, and I am not anywhere near overweight.

Reality set in one day when I looked in the mirror and saw a thin-fat person. I was thin (by American standards) but I wasn’t healthy. My blood pressure wasn’t the best, especially for someone my age (let’s just say under 35, a woman never tells her true age..haha!), but it wasn’t terrible or worrisome yet, and I felt sluggish all the time. I just felt off, not myself, and I wasn’t seeing any progress on my running times or my weights in the gym. I could not figure out why.

Then, about a year ago (August 2015), I started to follow a macro plan (See the page on macronutrients for more information about macro counting) because I knew I needed to make some changes. After the first month, I saw massive changes in my physical appearance and more importantly, my overall health. At first I started out just cutting the amount of food I was eating. You will not believe how much extra food I was eating that I did not need. Then, when I went into deeper cuts on my carbs and fats, I had to make a plan to make sure I was staying full. Enter the veggies and fruits. Its not that I didn’t eat veggies and fruits before, I just was not eating nearly enough or consistently. I used to say I hated salads and if it wasn’t a familiar vegetable, I probably wasn’t going to eat it. All that has changed. Thanks to to being intentional about getting healthy carbs and fats, I now come close to meeting the guidelines for vegetable and fruit intake for a day and I feel awesome for it. My running times have improved and my times/scores at CrossFit have gotten so much better. But best of all, I feel healthy.


One of the reasons why I have been able to be successful though is the fact that I subscribe to an 80/20 diet. What I mean by that is that you should eat healthy at least 80% of the time and the other 20% will all work out. This blog is a reflection of that. Eighty percent of my recipes will be super healthy (always drool worthy) but every now and then, there will be a ridiculously scrumptious recipe that is high in fats and/or carbs and definitely not macro friendly.

I hope you enjoy the recipes. Most are not my own and I will link to the original whenever possible or include links to the inspiration recipes for my creations.

Kara

“Eat good, feel good” unknown

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s